Sharing a Slice of Life: Sports

Texasblu gave us the prompt at Sharing a Slice of Life to write about Sports.
This is hard for me.  I played on a soft ball team when I was in grade school for summer time activites.  Outfield...I was terrible at catching the ball.  It was my freshman year of College before I actually learned to swim.  I guess you would say I wasn't sports oriented.
I did play for the marching band and we did half time at every football game from Jr High through High School.  When I graduated, I actually felt a little at loss because, the sport didn't have an appeal to me other than as a band activity.

I don't know why I was never really a sports fan, because my mother and grandmother were avid sports fans.
I can remember my grandmother had a television schedule.  It went something like: Tuesday, bowling leagues, Saturday Baseball or Football or Basketball which ever season.  She had terrible degenerative arthritis and had a hard time walking.  It had started when she was in her teens.  I guess that is why she loved sports and lived vicariously as a spectator all year long.  She loved her Yankees.  During a game, the air would resound with her advice and praise of them.
 
My mother played basketball in High School and loved the game.  She was totally into all the school sports.  As a teacher, she would have given support anyway, but for her it was a passion.  She loved professional, college, and high school sports.  We would hear her two acres away yelling for her OU team, the Oilers, and various other teams.  The children would make a wide berth around her house during a game.  It was funny to hear.  Well, some of the words might not have been so funny, but her enthusiasm was.  


I guess sports are necessary for an outlet of frustration and enthusiasm; I just never needed it because with 6 children it was a circus of events everyday at our house.
Was sports an important part or is it still an important part of your life?  I know some who feel they can 't miss a game.  It's all good.

Comments

chitra said…
In school I participated in sport events. Now nothing...only walks and Yoga .
Empty Nester said…
I was never a participant--not good enough. But always have been and remain an avid fan- particularly of football! Now begins that 7 long months of waiting for pre-season to begin. LOL

Visiting from Best Posts of the week!
Pirate Princess said…
Great one Mom - you hit on three generations there! Which Grandmother? I am guessing Grandma Whitson.
chitra said…
Frances,
So happy you are sharing a banner of my Jewel art on your blog. Great gesture, dear. Very few people appreciate and have the sharing mentality.
May God shower blessings on you and your family.