Spiced Banana-Walnut Muffins Heart/ Stress Healthy

As I have been letting you know, I have been searching for a way to reduce my blood pressure.  I am tired of whining, so I thought I would share some positives I have found with you.
Sheila G. West, PhD, of Pennsylvania State University team did a study of diet for possibly reducing stress with omega 3 fatty acids from plant sources.  They used my favorite nut, walnuts and walnut oil in the study. 
The findings were positive for reducing stress and reducing cardiovascular illness. Click here to view the write up about the study. 
That article and others like it, along with the knowledge that potassium also is helpful, led to me get out my Banana Walnut Muffin recipe and modify it to be heart healthy friendly.  [I see you smiling.  Yes, I needed some comfort food.  ; )   ]


Spiced Banana-Walnut Muffins
Servings: Serves 6
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used 1 Cup Gluten Free flour and 1/2 tsp Xanthum Gum)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup olive or Walnut oil
1 cup (2 to 3 whole) very ripe mashed bananas
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp. orange zest
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2   egg whites.
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. Line a standard 6-muffin tin with paper liners or grease well; set aside.







Yes that is my sewing in the background.

Put flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a large bowl; set aside. Put sugar and butter or oil into a second large bowl and beat until well combined. Add bananas, applesauce, zest, vanilla, and egg to the sugar-butter mixture, and beat again until combined. Add flour mixture to banana mixture in three parts, stirring well after each addition; fold in walnuts.


Spoon batter into prepared tin; bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes (With my convection oven it is 18 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature.
My evening muffin really tasted yummy and squelched any desire for more snacks for the evening. 

I went to SparkPeople.com to calculate the nutrition and calories.  Click on SparkPeople to view their set up.  Really healthy and tastes good too.  Life is all good. 
Nutrition Facts
6 Servings
Amount Per Serving
 Calories                   299.6
 Total Fat                   12.5 g
 Saturated Fat              1.6 g
 Polyunsaturated Fat    3.1 g
 Monounsaturated Fat 7.1 g
 Cholesterol                0.0 mg
 Sodium                228.4 mg
 Potassium             273.1 mg
 Total Carbohydrate51.3 g
  Dietary Fiber          2.3 g
  Sugars                  31.1 g
  Protein                   4.5 g
  Vitamin A               0.7 %
  Vitamin B-12          0.0 %
  Vitamin B-6         12.4 %
  Vitamin C              6.4 %
  Vitamin D              0.0 %
  Vitamin E              6.8 %
  Calcium                 3.2 %
  Copper                 8.6 %
  Folate                   3.0 %
  Iron                      8.7 %
  Magnesium           6.2 %
  Manganese         22.5 %
  Niacin                 7.0 %
  Pantothenic Acid 1.3 %
  Phosphorus         3.2 %
  Riboflavin           6.9 %
  Selenium             1.5 %
  Thiamin               9.0 %
  Zinc                    1.7 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. 
Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Hope you weekend is an exceptionally bright and happy one.

Comments

betty-NZ said…
Wow! That really looks yummy!! Thanks for sharing.
chitra said…
I must try this . I love walnuts.