Reporting on My Tulsi or Holy Basil

I sent off to an Herb farm in Oregon called Horizon Herbs that specializes in medicinal herbs for my Tulsi seed.  They sent all three varieties of this Basil.  (It is not the same as the "Thai Basil" sold for Thai cuisine.)
Tulsi is cultivated for religious and medicinal purposes, and for its essential oil. It is widely known across South Asia as a medicinal plant and an herbal tea, commonly used in Ayurveda, and has an important role within the Vaishnavite tradition of Hinduism, in which devotees perform worship involving Tulsi plants or leaves.
If you go to Ocimum tenuiflorum by clicking on it's name here you will see a complete write up about it.

I am so excited about the Tulsi.  You can tell which seed is the hardiest.

The Rama Tulsi has developed to 3 inches.  The Krishna is the second to grow, then the Vana is the apparent weakest here.  In the write up about the Tulsi, the plant is just divided into green and purple leaved.

I love  basil plants.  I have African Blue Basil, Cinnamon Basil, Sweet Basil, and Genovesse Basil.  Each has its own characteristic and wonderful fragrance.  I can hardly wait to see what the new basil will be like.  I am already planning on where I will be  planting the seedlings. 

Comments

This is really interesting. Do you have special uses for your varieties of basil?
FranE said…
The regular varieties,I use in recipes. I plan to learn how to prepare and use the Tulsi as alternative medicine. It is something I am studying right now. Let you know how it goes.
I grow Greek Oregano for my family to help during cold and flu season.